Popular Posts

Labels

Monday 14 November 2011

SLINGS AND SLINGSHOTS

Slings are mentioned in the bible; (David and Goliath as a military weapon), and they are very simple to manufacture. You can make a  sling by tying two pieces of cordage, about two to three feet long, at opposite ends of a palm-sized piece of leather or cloth. That's all there is to it. So, they must represent a very practical and serviceable  tool and weapon--right!

Yea, Right!

They require room to use; and so, are not of much use in the bush.To use, place a piece of rock or a small stone in the cloth or leather pouch and wrap one cord around the middle finger and hold it in your palm. Hold the other cord between the forefinger and thumb. To throw the rock, spin the sling several times in a circle and release the cord between the thumb and forefinger. Practice to gain proficiency.

PROBLEM--this may take years--but when, and IF, you gain proficiency; the sling can be very effective, against smaller game, in an open field.

So, How About a Sling-shot?
Everyone knows that they can be very accurate, and they can be very powerful. They do not require a lot of practice-- not as much as a sling--after-all, a few years ago, every young boy carried one.

But, you are in a survival situation--not on a reality TV show--rubber inner-tubes are now almost extinct. Did you think to pack a sling-shot; or at least some rubber tubing, and some steel balls in your survival kit?Yea, I know you would have; this little reminder is for the "other" 99,999% of week-end adventure, bushcrafters,survivors that would not have.


Quoted ,From Other Websites:
“Before this weekend’s bushcraft, survival, camping trip, I was in my local supply center. I was going to pick up one of their daisy slingshots, so I could take it camping with me. When I got to the counter to pay, I was asked for my driver’s license. I am clearly over 18, so I decided to ask about this process.
The cashier informed me that this wasn't just for age verification, but that they entered your license number and details into the system and it was tracked by State Police. Ok…what the heck? Needless to say I don’t like that, so I didn’t buy that slingshot. Here I am now, in the forest. I have a Swiss Army knife, a Leatherman Wingman and NO SLINGSHOT.
What would I ever do now? I know…
 I’ll make a bushcraft survival slingshot.
 First things first.
 I needed to find a forked branch. I found one and used the saw on my Swiss Army Knife Hiker to saw it off the remainder of the branch. Once that was done, I had my bushcraft survival slingshot frame.
We’ve now come to the more challenging part. Where in the world could I find something rubbery or springy for my bushcraft ,survival, slingshot propulsion system? I decided to hike back up to the road, and walk along it to see if I could find some litter or discarded auto parts that might fit the bill. After hiking along the road for a little over an hour, I came across a bicycle inner tube. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it “should” work. I put the inner tube in my outer pack pocket and headed back towards camp.

I kept my eyes open on the way back to camp for any method I could use to fasten the inner tube to the bushcraft, survival slingshot frame. As I was walking past a fence row, I spied a spool of some type of metal wire. It wasn’t mine, but I did stop and snip off about 12 inches of it with my Wingman multi-tool, and stashed it in my pack also. Once I got back to camp I started looking at the bushcraft , survival slingshot frame, the inner tube and the wire to see how I could make this all come together. I cut the inner tube to about 12 inches and wrapped each end around a twig, then pinched the wrapped end with some wire so that the tube couldn’t unwrap from the twigs on the ends. Then I held the bushcraft  survival slingshot frame and used the saw, from my Swiss Army Knife, to slot the arms of the slingshot, so I could slide the inner tube into them. The twigs, wrapped in the end of the inner tube, prevented the inner tube from sliding back through the slots in the arms. After wrapping the top of the arms of my bushcraft, survival slingshot with wire, to keep the inner tube from sliding up out of the slots in the arms, I was holding a fully functional bushcraft , survival slingshot.”

“Could you survive in the wilderness with only a sling shot as your weapon?
Lots would depend on your survivability. Having a means to harvest protein and animal fat would surely increase your chances.
In a perfect world, the sling shot would not be my first choice. But having options makes one more robust.”

Due to their inconsistent shape, stones tend to curve or slide off target-EVEN AN EXPERT MARKSMAN, IF USING THEM, WOULD BE UNLIKELY TO BAG ANY GAME.
How About an Arrow Throwing Sling Shot? Remember, you are lost; or in A Real Disaster, Survival Situation, you do not have a trailer load of supplies; just what you can carry and have on your person.
An Arrow Throwing Slingshot.
Note: The ring acts as an arrow support. When fired, the arrows pass through it. The ring is not intended to be used as a sight.
It must be noted: REAL “bush craft survival tools”  (all are IN REALITY the hand tools used by early pioneers, settlers, survivors, homesteaders,handymen, farmers, craftsman, stumble bums and ordinary citizens. they are NOT  play toys for macho types--kids; who never grew up. All are very, very, dangerous-can be dangerous to human life or detrimental to survival. All are illegal to use in Canada and or other CIVILIZED counties, except in extreme emergency. All must be clearly marked during the period of use; and must be dismantled immediately after the emergency situation is over. IF YOU ARE USING ANY OF THESE TOOLS TO TRAP OR KILL GAME, UNDER THE GUISE OF PRACTISING BUSHCRAFT, YOU COULD, AND SHOULD BE, CHARGED WITH ANIMAL ABUSE, DANGEROUS ACTIVITY-POTENTIALLY CAUSING HUMAN HARM, AND SEVERAL OTHER THINGS UNDER THE FISH AND WILDLIFE ACT.
 © Al (Alex, Alexander) D. Girvan

No comments:

Post a Comment